Department of Chemistry
About the Department
Department of Chemistry has started in the year 1963. The department is teaching Applied Chemistry at the first year level of all branches of engineering courses. The curriculum is designed according to the requirements of all the branches of engineering. The department is handling technical chemistry subject to the students of chemical engineering branch for higher semester level. Every year the department result exhibits between 98- 100%.
The department has nine faculty members. All the faculty members are highly qualified. Many of them are doctorate holders. Department has two research laboratories. At present eight research scholars are pursuing their Ph D programme s under 2 senior professors. The department is actively involved in guiding various projects to the final year engineering students. The research areas of interest are Polymers, Inorganic Complexes, Nano materials & Catalyst etc.
Department has proved its achievements in the area of research by publishing papers in National and International journals, publishing books, through inventions & patents. Professor & HOD of Chemistry has won the National Meritorious Invention Award (NRDC) in 2004.
- Applied Chemistry (Theory and Practical) for all branches I/II Semester of Engineering Course.
- Technical Chemistry (Theory and Practical) for Chemical Engineering III Semester.
- Chemistry of Materials (Global Electives) for VIII semester students.
- Chemical Technology for Chemical Engineering VI Semesters.
- To provide in depth knowledge of chemistry and their involvement in the area of technology products of future.
- To feed the budding engineer with finer aspects of science which make him to understand, exploit and innovate, thus contributing to the technological advancement of tomorrow.
- To chisel out high caliber engineers with strong basic knowledge in chemistry as technocrats of future.
- To educate the problem solving capacity in chemistry and their influence in the field of engineering and technology.
- To prepare Engineering graduates with good chemistry and make them expertise in their field of Engineering and to support industry and contributes towards socio- economy.
- To imbibe the research interest in the area of chemistry particularly with respect to interdisciplinary explorations.
- To produce high quality Engineers with strong knowledge in basic chemistry that helps to develop newer technologies of future.
Department Long Term Goals
- To provide the best available basic knowledge & day to day innovations to the student community
- To build up the department potentially to embark upon research along with academics and motivating the faculty towards high end research projects.
- To encourage the faculty to supervise projects for various branches of engineering students.
- To facilitate the faculty to enhance their knowledge & skills, the required internet accessibility is provided.
- To train the faculty and technical staff to utilize and develop effective teaching-learning modules and to adopt the modern trends in Education Technology concepts and media.
- To update the department library to digital / E-Library with relevant collections of CD's for use by students and teachers.
- To encourage teachers to actively take part in arranging National and International level workshops, seminars and conferences.
- To modernize the laboratories in tune with the needs, supporting the students in their projects.
- To initiate research activities at the Inter departmental levels.
- To work towards establishing a polymer research centre at the institution.
Department Short Term Goals
- Train the students in theory and laboratory practices for a thorough understanding of the subject.
- To modernize the research laboratories to take up innovative projects.
- The latest techniques & methods incorporating in academics to enhance the performances & results of students.
Infrastructure / Facilities
- Department of Chemistry has two labs. Lab 1 has 183 sq. m while Lab 2 has 157 sq. m of area.
List of Major Equipment / Facilities
Events & Seminars
Department has conducted 3 national level conferences
|National Level Conference on Futuristic Polymer Materisls, FPM 2005|
|National Level Conference on Futuristic Polymer Materisls, FPM 2008|
|Faculty Development Programme on "Green Chemistry & Environment"|
- Establishment of Advanced Polymer Material Research Laboratory.
- Invention of NCCS cable product.
- Granted Indian patent (199139/MAS/2002.)
- National NRDC award during 2004.
- Commercialization of invented product.
- Asphalting of roads using waste plastics has been developed.
- Developed new catalyst for the preparation of polyurethanes.
- Guiding projects for Chemical and Mechanical Engineering students.
- Number of Staff have got Ph.D.-05
- Number of faculty doing Ph.D-04
- Publication in International conference proceeding-05
- Publications in national conference proceedings-28
- Number of Conferences conducted-02.
- Number of Journal Publication in International-46
- Number of Research papers published in National Journals-22
- Department has VTU recognized Research centre for conducting Ph.D. programmes.
Department has VTU recognized Research centre for conducting Ph.D. programmes. At present eight research scholars are working towards PhD programme on various areas of Chemistry
Area of Interest
- Coordination Chemistry, Synthesis & Characterization of some complexes containing Benzimidazole derivatives
- Corrosion science & Environmental Science.
- Synthetic chemistry, Material chemistry, supramolecular Chemistry and Nano materials
polymer composites, nanomaterials
- Nanomaterials, Porous materials, Homogeneous/heterogeneous catalytic processes, Gas sensors
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
- Faculty Professional membership-LMISTE
- Student Club-RVCE Science Forum
- Student Professional membership-ISTE