Department of Civil Engineering
About the Department
Department of Civil Engineering of RVCE is one of the oldest branch, started in the year 1964 the department has been imparting quality education to meet the technological advancement and industrial requirements. This has been made possible due to qualified and dedicated faculty, state of the art laboratories and infrastructure facilities. The department is accredited by NBA from last five years and has been recognised as research center by VTU. The total student intake at present for BE (Civil Engineering) is 60.
Providing state of art education in civil engineering guided by innovative research, inclusive technology and managerial skills for industry and societal needs for sustainable development.
- To create, disseminate and integrate knowledge of civil engineering for the betterment of society.
- To develop sustainable applications to improve civil engineering practices.
- To develop skills among students and faculty by identifying potentials and knowledge through innovative research for challenging applications in civil engineering.
- To develop center of excellence in civil engineering to carry out research in the areas of infrastructure and eco –friendly technologies.
- Bachelor of Engineering
- M.Tech (Structural Engineering)
- M. Tech ( Highway Technology)
- MSc Engineering (By research)
- PhD-Civil Engineering
There are 6 faculty members with Ph.D and 5 faculty members pursuing PhD under various universities. Total number of Faculty members in the department is 21 in the following cadre of: Professors – 4, Associate Professors - 2, Assistant Professors – 15. The staff - student ratio is 1:13.
Course content of BE Civil Engineering includes Structural Engg, Geotechnical Engg, Transportation Engg, Environmental Engg, Hydraulics & Water Resources Engineering and Others. The department offers Geoinformatics as Global Elective.
- Structural Dynamics lab.
- Recognition of RV-ISRO Space Application Center for research in Remote Sensing & Geographic Information System.
- Research in the area of Remote Sensing & Geographic Information System.
Infrastructure / Facilities
Total Area of Department has a floor area of 1836.72 sqm .
All Class Rooms has a floor area 321.6 sqm.
|Name of the Laboratory||Sophisticated Equipment Available|
Environmental Engg Lab
Geotechnical Engg Lab
Basic Materials Testing Lab
Concrete & Highway Lab
CAL-Tech Research Centre
PG Computer Lab
|Research Mini Test Floor of 200T capacity|
Events & Seminars
Various activities are conducted by the department to promote involvement of staff and students in research and advanced training programmes such as Faculty Development Programmes, Seminars, Workshops.
Faculty development programmes are being conducted by the department, 14 programs have been conducted till date. National Seminars were conducted by the department related to restoration, rehabilitation and reliability of structures, alternative construction materials, rain water harvesting & water conservation and Technologies for sustainable development. Various seminars and workshops are also conducted from time to time.
Colloquium on World Wetland Day ,Engineer’s Day Celebrations, World Water Day Celebrations are arranged by the department every year.
It is a tradition in the department to hold Technical talks on various topics and some of them are related to Urban Air Quality Management, Pollution-A Serious Threat To Nature ,Hazardous Pollution-Management, High tech bridge construction and bridge rehabilitation,Solid waste management, Applications Of Remote Sensing & Geographical Information System.
Technical Talk On‘Metro Rail For Bangalore-Challenges Ahead’ By Sri.Shivanand, Deputy Chief Engineer, BMRCL, Bangalore Was Conducted On 21-10-2009
|World water day celebrations-2010 ,on 29-03-2010|
|AICTE Sponsored Staff Development Programme on Sampling Testing Analysis and Interpretation of Water Quality Data (STAIWQ'09) was conducted from 7th - 18th December 2009 at Department of Civil Engineering|
|World environment day celebration –GREEN SERENE on 11th June 2010|
|INAGURATION OF RAINWATER HARVESTING PROJECT FUNDED BY KPMG FOUNDATION ON 19TH AUGUST 2010|
Six faculty members have been awarded PhD by various universities for their research work in the areas of fracture mechanics, Watershed Management, Environmental Engg, among them two PhD's from R&D centre, Civil Engg Dept., RVCE.
Five Faculty members are persuing PhD under various universities and among them two faculty members are persuing in the R&D Centre, Civil Engg Department, RVCE. Also one external candidate has registered for MSc Engg by Research.
The Faculty members have published Three text books related to Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical engineering, Applied elasticity.
The Faculty members have publications in 35 International Journals, 26 National Journals. 51 International Conference proceedings have published the work of faculty and 43 in National Conference/Seminars/ Symposium proceedings in areas related to Watershed management, fracture mechanics, alternative building materials, Environmental Engg, Earthquake Engineering.
The Faculty members have been the recipient of best paper publication, best scientist and excellence in teaching awards from various organizations.
The students have brought laurels to the department by bagging 10 ranks in the university examinations both Bangalore University and VTU,among them them, the latest are
2007-2008 / Aditya Pai / 2nd Rank
2008-2009 / Rashmi.L / 10th Rank
2009-2010 / Saloni Agarwal / 7th Rank
The students of 2007-08 batch have won the best innovative project award arranged by the Entrepreneurship cell, RVCE.
Excellence in curricular / extra curricular activities
1. 8th sem 2008 – Most innovative project
2. Saloni Agarwal & Rajiv Ranjan Verma – 2009 – National Champions "Bending Moment"
3. 7th sem 2010 – State champions "AAKAR 2010"
4. Prithviraj.P – 2010 – National Inter University Swimming champion
5. National Champions-PARADOX-2011,Gogte Instituteof Technology,Belgaum.
6. Prithviraj.P – 2011 – Best Outstanding student of RVCE.
7. Pruthviraj, Won a Gold medal in VTU swimming meet held at Bangalore Aquatic Centre during Aug 2009
1. Aditya.P.Pai.M / 2007 - 2008 / Brigade Group
2. Saloni Agarwal / 2007 - 2008 / Sarthaka Trust
3. Rashmi.L / 2008 - 2009 / Brigade Group
4. Prithviraj.P / 2008 - 2009 / Sarthaka Trust
5. Saloni Agarwal / 2009 - 2010 / Brigade Group & Sarthaka Trust
Dr. Radhakrishna Receiving Best Scientist Award by VTU Vice Chancellor on 17th Sept 2008
|Gold Medal awarded by VTU to Ms. SALONI AGARWAL for securing highest among the lady candidate in B.E (Civil Engg) 2011.|
|Prithviraj.P awarded Best Outstanding student of RVCE first Autonomous batch 2011|
The Department has many major areas of Research activity namely:
- CAL-TECH Research centre. The main focus on the topics related to fly ash, slag, silica fumes, pond ash
- RV-ISRO Space Application Center (RV–ISRO SPACE) focusing on Remote Sensing (RS) and Geographical Information system (GIS).
- Installation & monitoring of surface & bore hole Seismographs – DST Project from IISc, Bangalore
- Centre for Water Resources Engineering- Rainwater harvesting system has been implemented in the RVCE campus.
- New Air quality monitoring station has been installed at RVCE.
Various projects are completed and many are ongoing , through funds which are sanctioned from DST, AICTE, MoEF ISRO/DOS.
- Faculty have taken up Consultancy for building construction, water resources, highway engineering, Geotechnical Engineering and concrete technology.
- Govt. of Karnataka has recognized the department as resource centre for Panchayath Raj and Rural Development.
- Indian Railways has recognised the department as the authorized laboratory for testing track materials.
- Approved by BBMP as third party independent inspection team for Quality Control of Works
- Internships are offered for both UG &PG students in various companies such as L&T, CPRI, Brigade Groups
- Construction of rainwater harvesting Unit in RVCE Sanctioned Agency: KPMG Foundation Gurgaon
Sanctioned Amount: Rs. 16 Lakhs
- MOU for Joint research and Development with KSHC focusing on development of ecofriendly fly ash building materials and products. Sanctioned Agency: Karnataka State Habitat Centre (KSHC) Bangalore
- Air quality monitoring station.
Sanctioned Agency: Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), New Delhi, Government of India,
Sanction Order No: F.NO.A-18011/63/2005-MON/1926
Sanctioned Amount: Rs. 5, 86,000/- towards Equipment/Instruments.
Rs. 5, 70,000/- towards Operation and maintenance cost per year.
- Development of Phenomenological models for Controlled low Strength Materials
Sanctioned Agency: Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi, Government of India,
Sanction Order No: SR/S3/MERC/ 54 /2005
Sanctioned Amount: Rs. 8,65,800.00
- RV-ISRO Space Application Center – GIS and Remote Sensing Lab
Sanctioned Agency: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO/DOS)
Sanction Order No. B.19014/1/2009-II
Sanctioned Amount: Rs.26 lakhs.
- MOU for Joint research and Development with Environmental Health Safety Research & Development Centre, Bangalore.
- Measurement and monitoring of noise levels for an urban area with suggested Interventions, in collaboration with EHSRDC – 73.85 Lakhs.
Sanctioning Agency: Ministry of Environment and Forest
Sanctioned Amount: Rs. 16 Lakhs
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
ACES - Association of Civil Engineering Students of RVCE was established in the year 1998 for organizing various Techno-Cultural activities. Intercollegiate fests such as “STHAPANA” and “NEEV” have been organized. World Wetland Day, Engineer’s Day Celebrations, World Water Day Celebrations are celeberated by the association every year to inculcate awareness among the students and society at large.
The Faculties are Members of the various professional society such as IGS, ISSMGE, IE, IWWA, IPHE, ISTE, IAH, IRC, SWADESHI VIGNANA AKADEMY
The department has shown an increasing trend in placement for past 5 years. Various companies such as L&T, TCE, Sobha Developers, Brigade Group, Maytas Infra, Shapoorji Pallonji constructions etc have recruited students.