Department of Computer Science Engineering
About the Department
The Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) program was started in the year 1984.The main focus of the department is to produce graduates & post graduates with strong fundamentals in Computer Science and Engineering domain. The course is an outcome based structured to help students to achieve this goal. The course was accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA). Top rank holders from Common Entrance Test (conducted by Karnataka examination authority) and other aspirants prefer this program.
The department has a total of 37 teaching faculty members with various specializations, out of which 5 are PhD holders and 21 are pursuing PhD. One of them is sponsored for M.Tech course. Faculties in the department have outstanding teaching experience. The department has maintained a student staff ratio of 15:1, has excellent infrastructure with state of the art equipment and software tools. It is having computer centre with over 150 computers catering to student needs. The department has a strong R & D culture.
Empower every student to be Innovative and productive in the area of Computer Science by imparting quality education and inculcating human values.
- To produce high standard quality Engineers who are disciplined, ethical and socially concerned.
- To evolve continually as a Centre of excellence in quality Education.
- To build and update infrastructure for research and to create environment to facilitate students to carryout do research and enhance skills that could lead to entrepreneurship.
- To promote collaboration with industry to achieve constructive interaction for better integration of theory and application.
- To inculcate the spirit of innovation and development of technologies that are sustainable and inclusive that benefit all sections of the society.
- To Collaborate with Institutions at national and international level to impart state-of-art Information Technology education and training.
Academic programs offered:
• Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) with approved intake of 120 students and a lateral entry of 20% from 2nd year.
• M.Tech Programme in Computer Science and Engineering with approved intake of 18 students
• M.Tech Programme in Computer Network Engineering with approved intake of 18 students
• M.Tech Programme in Computer Science and Engineering Part time (QIP) with approved intake of 25 students (VTU study centre).
• M.Sc. (Engineering) by research
• Ph.D. program
Outline of the course structure:
B.E in Computer Science and Engineering course content covers: Humanities and social sciences (8%), Basic sciences (13%), Engineering Sciences (12%), Professional subjects (core) (41%), Professional subjects (Electives) (10%), Other electives (1.5%) , Project work (11%) & Common Electives(1.5 %).
Infrastructure / Facilities
Department has enough class and tutorial rooms with most of them equipped with projectors. Department also has a Seminar Hall. There are seven well equipped laboratories.
The library is equipped with 800 books, journals and student project reports, for quick reference for both students and staff. Library has floor area of 63 Sqm with seating capacity of 20.
Laboratories with UPS support:
Major Equipment and Software Tools available in various Laboratories:
- Power Supplies of different voltage ranges, all in one board, Function Generators, Pulse Generators, LCR meter, Frequency meter, Modulation meter, Power meter, IC tester, Digital Multi-meters & Digital CROs.
- HP LaserJet Printers, Scanners, 8085 Microprocessor kits with interfaces, 8086 software package, LCD Projector, OHP, Logic Analyzer, Analog CRO, 4 channel power scope.
- MSDN Software, Windows Xp (32bit) and (64bit), Windows 7,fedora 15,Visual studio 2008 and 2010, Microsoft Packages.
- Computers with Internet facility.
Facilities for Students:
1. IEEE & IETE Students Chapter for Technical activities
2. Financial assistance for Projects, Paper Presentations and Research
3. Well Stocked Departmental Library
4. Internet Facility for Browsing Technical Journals.
5. Hard copies of Online Journals
6. Sponsorship from Various Organizations for projects
Facilities for Faculties:
1. Computer in each faculty room
2. Easy Loan to buy Laptops
3. Sponsorship to all research activities including foreign travel.
4. Medical Facilities & Insurance
5. Well Stocked Departmental Library
6. Internet Facility for Browsing technical Journals
7. Hard copies of online Journals
8. Concessional Travel
9. Faculty training without bound programs
10. Sponsorship for higher studies
Events & Seminars
The Department of CSE has organized many conference and workshops. These events were very successful and have got lot of appreciation for the same. Following is the list of conference and workshop conducted by the department :
- National Conference on "Wireless Network Security – Issues & Challenges" and "1st CSI Regional Students Convention".
- Intel Multicore Programming
- State level Conference "20th CSI Karnataka Student Convention".
- workshop on " Research Initiative Program"
- Short Term Workshop on "Software Testing"
- 25TH CSI Karnataka Students Convention , R V College of Engineering
- National Conference on Recent trends in Computer Technology (RTCT 2011)
- Work shop on LaTex
- CISCO training program for the Faculties of the college
- Workshop on Network Technology
- Workshop on PC Interfacing using Parallel port programming
- Orientation programme for WIPRO selected students (Jump Start - II)
Seminars were conducted by the department and many talks were given by the delegates from the top most companies and colleges. The response to these seminars was very good. Following are the list of seminars conducted by the department:
- "Technological Innovations"
- "Employability is the need of the hour"
- "Network Security & Challenges",
- " Business Intelligence" ,
- "Cell Processors" ,
- "Effective web search techniques" ,
- "Virtual Graphics" ,
- "Preview for Advanced studies" ,
- "Post Graduate studies abroad" ,
- "Quad Core Programming"
- "Google Talks"
- Publication by the department faculties:
Number of Books :5
Papers in international/national journals: 64
Papers in international/national / conferences/ symposiums: 88
- Expert lectures under EDUSAT program of VTU on core subjects
- Funded project and consultancy
- Entrepreneurship training program for students
- Outstanding performance in Final Year Projects: -Year 2010-2011
The final Year best project is: Local search engine for Android platform
- Activities undertaken Under Entrepreneurship initiatives are
- Product design and innovations
- Tarantula Web Studio
- Business plan competition: BPC 2009
- Excelled in competitive exams Viz GATE, CAT etc.
- Pursuing higher studies in IITs, IIMs and in reputed Universities abroad.
- Excelled in national & international project competition viz.
- Participated, presented papers and won prizes in intercollegiate competitions at IITs and NITs.
- Won many prizes in spot programming, design contest etc. at the state and regional level.
- Won many prizes in sports and cultural events at the state and regional level.
- Four teams of undergraduate students were selected for ATOS IT worldwide challenge.
- Published many papers for national and international conference/Journal.
Scholarships and awards:
Apart from scholarships awarded at institution level following scholarships are awarded through the department.
• Every year Infineon scholarship will be given to Meritorious students of II& III year by Infineon company
Academic Achievements (2009-201)
• In the year 2011-2012, Second autonomous batch, top 10 students were awarded ranks
• In the year 2010-2011, the first autonomous batch, top 10 students were awarded ranks
• In the year 2009-2010, VI,VII,VII,IX Ranks in B.E (CSE) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2008-2009, IX Ranks in B.E (CSE) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2007-2008, I,II,III,IV Ranks in B.E (CSE) awarded by VTU
• In the Year 2007-2008 II Rank in MTech (CSE) awarded by VTU
• In the Year 2007-2008 II Rank in MTech (CNE) awarded by VTU
• In the Year 2008-2009 I Rank in MTech (CNE) awarded by VTU
• In the Year 2009-2010 I,II,III Ranks in MTech (CNE) awarded by VTU
Research activities have been carried out in the areas of i. Data mining ii. Natural Language processing , iii. Mobile Ad-hoc Networks, iv. Pattern Recognition, v. Sensor networks, vi. Univalent functions and fuzzy logic, vii. Virtualization , viii. Storage area networks xi Social network analysis for churn prediction etc.
List of Projects in Progress:
1. Adaptive texture representation methods for automatic target detection using neural networks funded armament research board
2. Adaptive method for automatic target detection using neural networks funded AICTE
3. Effective Multimedia Information Retrieval Using Indexing Technique by University Grant Commission (UGC)
List of Projects completed:
1. Continuous and Discrete and Infrastructure Modeling General Motors
2. Short term Wind speed prediction using Neural Networks((IPR)DRDO , New Delhi)
3. Continuous and Discrete and Infrastructure Modeling General Motors
4. Automatic Target Recognition of Synthetic aperture images using Support vector machines(AICTE New Delhi)
5. Construction of 3d model of underwater object from multiview images. naval research board
6. Short term Wind speed prediction using Neural Networks((IPR)DRDO , New Delhi)
7. Independent Verification and validation using MIL STD.
- The department has MOU with CISCO and they have set up a lab in the department. An initiative is taken to conduct industry oriented network program.
- Infosys "Campus Connect" programme was initiated by the faculties in the department
The following are Industry sponsored projects for Faculties:
- Center for Airborne Systems, DRDO – Extra Mural Research ,ISRO – Respond Programme , AICTE – New Delhi, General Motors India (P) Ltd
The following are Student projects sponsored by the Industry:
- Every year more than 70% of the UG & PG students are doing Internship/project work in reputed companies namely IISc, Yahoo, HP,LRDE,NAL,SUN, MICROSYSTEM,,NI, ADE,J. P. Morgan Chase and ARCOT R&D
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
- Most of the faculties & all the students are members of professional bodies like ISTE, IETE and IEEE
- Edusat programs are conducted by the faculty regularly.
- Students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular and social activities by organizing fest such as CSI-student convention/IOTA/Vrithant/8th Mile/NSS/Conferences
Placement Statics Graph for the last three years:
Nature of Companies & recruitment sectors: Service Oriented, Product Development , Testing: Schneider Electric, CTS, Infosys, Wipro Technologies , Accenture, TCS, Mind Tree, Oracle, Novell, Thought works , Yahoo, Aditi, Target , Tech Mahindra, CISCO, Ready Minds, Zensar, Mysys, Nokia, Siemens, Philips, Agilent, Nortel, Amazon, CSC, JP Morgan, Intel, Beroe Akzonobel, AND Microsoft.
Higher Studies Statistics:
No of Students
• Job Profile Offered:
Lead Developer, Software Engineer, Intern, Business Administrator
• Depth and Breadth of the companies covered among the recruiters:
Startup companies to MNC companies
• Various Salary Bracket statistics: Rs. 3.0 Lakhs to 16 Lakhs
M. Tech. (Computer Science and Engineering)
|Dr. Shobha G||Dean PG Studies (Circuit Branch)|
|Dr. Rajashree Shettar||Associate Professor(Dean PG CSE/CNE)|
|Shanta Rangaswamy||Assistant Professor|
M. Tech. (Computer Network and Engineering)
|Dr. Nagaraja G.S.||Associate Professor|
|Anala M. R.||Assistant Professor|