Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering
About the Department
The Electronics & Communication Engineering program was started in the year 1969. The focus of the department is to produce graduates & post graduates with strong fundamentals in electronics and communication domain. The course is an outcome based structured to help students to achieve this goal. The course is accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA). The department is the most sought after branch of engineering by top CET (conducted by Karnataka examination authority) rank holders and other aspirants.
The department has a total of 40 faculty members with various specializations, out of which five are PhD holders and sixteen are pursuing PhD. All the faculty members are Post graduates with outstanding teaching experience. The department has maintained a student staff ratio of 13:1. The department has excellent infrastructure with state of the art equipment and software tools. The department is having computer centre with over 150 computers catering to student needs. The department has a strong R & D culture.
- Imparting quality technical education through research, innovation and teamwork for a lasting technology development in the area of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- To train the Electronics & Communication Engineering graduates to meet future global challenges.
- To impart quality technical education to produce industry-ready engineers.
- To inculcate the quest for modern technologies in the emerging areas.
- To motivate the students towards research leading to multidisciplinary innovative projects.
- To produce future leaders with cohesive teamwork.
- To kindle the entrepreneurial skill amongst students for overall societal upliftment.
- To create centers of excellence in the field of electronics and communication engineering through collaboration with industries and other universities
Academic programs offered:
- Bachelor of Engineering(B.E.) in Electronics & Communication Engineering with approved intake of 180.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in VLSI design & Embedded Systems with approved intake of 18
- Master of Technology (M.Tech ) in Communication Systems with approved intake of 18
- M.Sc. (Engineering) by research
- Ph.D. program
Outline of the course structure:
B.E in Electronics & Communication Engineering course content covers: Humanities and social sciences (6%), Basic sciences (14%), Engineering Sciences (13%), Professional subjects (core) (45%), Professional subjects (Electives) (11.5%), Other electives (2%) & Project work (8.5%). Few electives are industry collaborative electives and taught by industry experts.
Detailed Scheme(to be linked to scheme)
Infrastructure / Facilities
Department has sufficient class room with most of them equipped with Multimedia projectors. Department also has Virtual class room & Seminar Hall. There are a number of tutorial rooms. There are nine well equipped laboratories.
The library is equipped with 2500 books journals and student project reports, for quick reference for both students and staff. .Library has floor area of 77 Sqm with seating capacity of 20
Laboratories with UPS support:
|DSP & CCN Lab (68.22 Sq.m)||P.G Communication Lab (54.28 Sq.m)|
|Analog Circuits Lab (114 Sq.m)||R&D Lab (57.912 Sq.m)|
|VLSI & Microcontroller Lab ( 68.22 Sq.m)||Students doing project in Communication Lab|
Major Equipment and Software Tools available in various Laboratories:
- Spectrum Analyzer, Microstrip Antenna, DPSK & QPSK Kits, Tektronics Digital CROs, Curve Tracer, Microwave bench, Fiber Optics Kits, Advanced Function and random signal Generators, Pulse Generators, LCR meter, Frequency meter, Modulation meter, Power meter.
- Printers and plotters, UMAX Scanners, 8031/51Micro-controller kits with interfaces, 8086 software package, LCD Projector, OHP, Logic Analyzer, Analog CRO, 4 channel power scope.
- Intellisuite (MEMS) software, CADENCE software, Silicon Micro Systems UWSI: Universal VLSI Trainer Kit With Power Supply & Max 3000 CPLD – Accessories, ALTERA EP20K 100TC 144-3 FPGA Device + Quartus II and MAX Plus II Software Tool, Xilinx FPGA Trainer Kits with interface module, Modelsim Software & TANNER Tool
- CCN kits & DSP kits
- Server: Blade Server IBM, 9965 Xeon processor, 300 GB HDD, 10 GB RAM, External storage capacity: 1 TB, Computers with Internet facility
Facilities for Students:
1. IEEE & IETE Students Chapter for Technical activities
2. Sponsoring for Projects, Paper Presentations and Research
3. Well Stocked Departmental Library
4. Internet Facility for Browsing Technical Journals
5. Hard copies of Online Journals
6. Sponsorship from Various Organizations for projects
Facilities for Faculties:
1. Computer in each faculty room
2. Easy Loan to buy Laptops
3. Sponsorship to all research activities including foreign travel.
4. Medical Facilities & Insurance
5. Well Stocked Departmental Library
6. Internet Facility for Browsing technical Journals
7. Hard copies of online Journals
8. Concessional Travel
9. Faculty training with out bound programs
10. Sponsorship for higher studies
Events & Seminars
The Department has organized many conferences and workshops to enhance the knowledge in advanced fields. These events were very successful and have got lot of appreciation for the same. Following is the list of conference and workshop conducted by the department.
- National Conference "N4C" (Communication, computers and controls):
ECE department conducted two days National conference "N4C" (Communication, computers and controls) on 29th and 30th April 2011.
- TI Workshop:
ECE department in coordination with M/s Texas and M/s Cranes, arranged a workshop on "Texas Analog System Lab Kit" for ECE faculty on 9th and 10th June 2011.
- IETE Conference on RF & Wireless -2011:
Department of Electronics and Communication jointly with IETE, Bangalore Centre, in collaboration with TCE and IT departments, organized the IETE Conference on RF & Wireless -2011(Icon RFW-2011) for three days from 14 /10 to 16/10/2011.
- Techno cultural fest:
Departments of ECE, ISE, TCE and IT jointly organized the techno cultural fest on 29th and 30th April 2011. Technical Events such as Circuit debugging, Mock CAT, Numero Quiz, Matlab Programming etc and cultural events such as Minute to write, mini cricket, mini football, Dance competitions were organized. Their was overwhelming response from various Engineering and other educational institutions located in Bangalore.
Inauguration of National conference N4C-11
Inauguration of Texas workshop
Inauguration of IETE Conference on RF & Wireless -2011
Inauguration of Techno cultural fest for students (Impulse 11)
- Patents: 5
- Publication by the department faculties:
Number of Books :4
Papers in international journals: 35
Papers in international workshops/ conferences/ symposiums: 74
Papers in national seminar/conference/symposium: 49
- Expert lectures under EDUSAT program of VTU on core subjects
- Funded project and consultancy
- Entrepreneurship training program for students
Outstanding performance in Final Year Projects: -Year 2010-2011
Some of the final Year projects adjudged as best projects are:
- DSP based engine control
Aims at controlling Fuel mixture and Ignition events along with other auxiliary functions such as controlling cooling fans, pumps and compressors onboard a vehicle.
- Dual Mic Noise concellation
In this project, different adaptive filter structures are explored to achieve noise cancellation using dual microphones.
- Students have innovatively designed and implemented
- Embedded Solution for Tree Conservation
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (JATAYU)
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(PUSHPAK )
Improvised Electronic Voting Machine
PICO Satellite (STUDSAT)
- Excelled in competitive exams Viz GATE, CAT etc.
- Pursuing higher studies in IITs, IIMs and in reputed Universities abroad.
- Excelled in national & international project competition viz.
- Participated, presented papers and won prizes in intercollegiate competitions at IITs and NITs.
- Won many prizes in spot programming, Automatic Robot design contest etc. at the state and regional level.
- Won many prizes in sports and cultural events at the state and regional level.
Scholarships and awards: Apart from scholarships awarded at institution level following scholarships are awarded through the department.
- Every year Infineon scholarship will be given to Meritorious students of II& III year by Infineon company
- Every year III semester E&C topper gets KRV memorial prize.
- Department sponsored awards are given to outstanding students
Academic Achievements (2009-2011)
• In the year 2010-2011, the first autonomous batch, top 10 students were awarded ranks
• In the year 2009-2010, IV and IX Ranks in B.E (E&C) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2008-2009, IV Rank in B.E (E&C) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2008-2009, I & II Ranks in M.Tech (VLSI Design & Embedded Systems) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2008-2009, I, II & III Ranks in M.Tech (Communication Systems) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2009-2010, I & II Ranks in M.Tech (VLSI Design & Embedded Systems) awarded by VTU
• In the year 2009-2010, I, II & III Ranks in M.Tech (Communication Systems) awarded by VTU
Research activities have been carried out in the areas of (i). Image Processing, (ii). Broadband Communication, (iii). RADAR, (vi). Antennas (v). Control & Automation & (vi). Testing in VLSI. The ongoing R & D projects carried out by the faculties of the department are listed below, Few projects are completed & few are in progress:
List of Projects In Progress:
- Development of carbon Nano tube based vacuum Nano electronic X-ray sources for making compact low power hand held X-ray funded by VTU
- Design of predictive controller for ship Navigation funded by NRB
- Performance simulation using discrete multi-tone algorithms for acoustic wireless underwater communication and for wired communication in underwater vehicles funded by NRB
List of Projects completed :
- Design, development and integration of coprocessors with DSP TI family using FPGA for naval applications funded by NRB
- Developments of algorithms for improved accuracy in DGPS measurements using DSP tools funded by ARMREB
- A Study of defining maneuvering parameters of ship model by analyzing wakes using image processing techniques funded by NRB
- A study and analysis of active array antennas embedded in hemispherical and hemispheroidal shaped dielectric lenses for airborne mobile communication funded by CABS
- Design and development of compact universal controller for actuation system of autonomous vehicle funded by NRB
- Design and development of dielectric lenses based active smart array antenna for surface communication of underwater vehicles funded by NRB
- Design and development of controller working on 1553 digital bus on various modes of military applications funded by IPR DRDO
- ASIC control for AC servomotor drive for military applications funded by ARB DRDO
- A cost effective smart antenna for mobile broadband application funded by ISRO
- Implementation of self turning controller funded by CPRI
- The department has signed MOU with L&T for M.Tech VLSI and Embedded Systems students.
- ISRO, BEL has sponsored equipments for virtual class room & Texas Instruments sponsored DSP development kits.
- ALTERA, XILINX, SYNOPSIS, LATTICE, CISCO donated hardware and software for VHDL and VLSI lab.
- FREESCALE semiconductor (India) has set up RVCE-Freescale Embedded Systems Laboratory.
- Projects in collaboration with public sectors organization like ISRO, LRDE & NRB
- Faculties are involved in training programmes & workshops for BEL, LRDE & DRDO Employees
- Every year more than 70% of the UG & PG students are doing Internship/project work in reputed companies namely Motorola, Intel, Philips, L&T, TI, ARM, Wipro, BEL, ISRO etc.
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
The various co-curricular activities in the department are:
- Most of the faculties & all the students are members of professional bodies like ISTE,IETE and IEEE.
- I.S.F- IETE student forum , IEEE Student forum and student clubs are regularly organizing special talks & workshops for students by experts on cutting edge areas like PSOC, Nanotechnology, MIMO, Analog VLSI etc
- Department releases newsletter "EC BUZZ" biannually.
- A techno cultural fest "IMPULSE" is organized on a regular basis by the
students. Avalanche (Souvenir) is released during conferences and students
E & C students receive immense patronage from the industry. The students are given training in soft skills, personality development and how to face interviews. Students often graduate with more than one offer and are given an additional 'dream option' to choose the company of their choice. Many students have been placed in reputed companies. The median salary package for the year 2011-12 was INR 5.5 lakhs per annum
M.Tech Communication Systems - Faculty Details
|Dr. S Ravi Shankar||Professor|
|Prakash Biswagar||Associate Professor|
|K. Saraswathi||Assistant Professor|
M.Tech VLSI design & Embedded systems - Faculty Details
|Dr. Uma B.V.||Professor & Associate Dean (E.C)|
|H. V. Ravish Aradhya||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Deepali Koppad||Assistant Professor|