Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
About the Department
The department of Industrial Engineering and Management is accredited by National Board of Accreditation and affiliated under VTU. Department is offering UG program in Industrial Engineering and Management with the intake of fifty students and has a research centre affiliated to VTU. The Department was established in the year 1985 under Bangalore university affiliation. The philosophy and motivation of the Industrial Engineering profession is to find the most efficient and effective methods, procedures, and processes for operating systems, and to seek continuous improvement. Thus, industrial engineering helps organizations grow and expand efficiently during periods of prosperity, and streamline costs and consolidate and reallocate resources during austere times. Industrial Management - the branch of engineering that detail with the creation and management of systems that integrate people and materials and energy in productive ways.The faculty and the students continuously interact with the industries in order to assimilate the current trends and prevailing practices. The department regularly organizes continuous improvement programmes, technical lectures, seminars, and workshops on contemporary areas to bridge the gap between the syllabi and current practices and developments
Imparting innovative and value based education in Industrial Engineering and Management to steer organizations to global standards with an emphasis on sustainable and inclusive development.
- To impart engineering, scientific and managerial skills to cater to sustainability requirements.
- To nurture post graduate programs and centres of excellence in areas of ergonomics, quality and systems.
- To provide necessary skills to faculty members and students for designing and operating systems effectively to achieve inclusive development.
- To institute collaborative academic and research exchange programs with globally renowned universities and organizations.
- To promote consultancy and entrepreneurship by encouraging development of incubation centres.
The department is having twenty Teaching faculty supported by ten dedicated non-teaching staff. Department is having Four Doctorates and Seven have registered for the Doctoral Programme.
Industrial Engineering curriculum includes: Operations Research, Management Science, Financial Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, Ergonomics, Process Engineering, Value Engineering and Quality Engineering, Simulation Modeling, Information Systems & Knowledge Management.
Infrastructure / Facilities
Name of the Laboratory
ERP/ Simulation lab
Measurement & Gauging Lab
Industrial Eng. Lab
(Under development) - (Area 97 sq.m)- Ergonomics is the science of designing the job, equipment, and workplace to fit the worker. Proper ergonomic design is necessary to prevent repetitive strain injuries, which can develop over time and can lead to long-term disability. Dash monitor, Thread mill, cardio soft
|Four Hi Tech class room with LCD Projector
i. No. of Books : 800
ii. No. of Journals : 04
iii. Student project reports of 10 years
iv. Floor Area : 76 Sq.m
v. Seating Capacity : 20
|Foundry & Forging Lab (Area 89 sq.m)- - Universal Sand Testing Machine, Heavy duty oven, Sand Muller, Electronic Balance|
Events & Seminars
The Department regularly conducts training programmes for Industrial Executives, faculty and Students in the areas of Industrial Experimentation, Operations Research, Total Quality Management, Industrial Engineering, Enterprise Resource Planning, Computers in Management, Simulation as an aid to decision making and such other topics of current relevance and importance
The department has conducted about forty-five conferences and seminars in the various fields such as Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Lean Manufacturing, Rapid Prototyping, Simulation and Modeling, Business Process Modeling and such other industry relevant areas. Many programmes have been sponsored by AICTE, ISTE and industries.
The faculty members of the department have attended around 150 workshops, seminars and conferences at national and regional level.
The Department has conducted a National Conference on “Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing” and called for papers in the following areas:
- Rapid Prototyping, Rapid Manufacturing and Rapid Tooling
- CAD, 3D Scanning and Digitizing, Reverse engineering
- Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Manufacturing Materials: Metals / Non- Metals, Ceramics, Composites and Bio Materials.
- Concurrent Design and Manufacturing.
Department is conducting several programs for students to develop their overall personality such as Entrepreneurship Development, Parliamentary Education Program, Certification Programme on Supply Chain Strategist Software, Human Resource Development, Competency Mapping For Effective Performance, Business Process Modeling, Constitution of India and Professional Ethics, Lean Manufacturing System, World Class Management Practices in Professional Institutions, etc.
Interaction with Foreign Universities: department is conducting regularly conducting exchange programme with University of Pittsburgh, USA. During this event department has organized technical talks from industry experts and industrial visits to HAL, Kennametal, iflex Solutions,L & T and also conducted cultural programme.
|National Conference on Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing - RPM2009|
|Participants of the students exchange program University of Pittsburgh|
|Four days program on Parliamentary Education|
|One day seminar on “Entrepreneurship Development”|
|Inauguration of faculty development programme on Business Process Modeling|
- The faculty members of the department have presented about Seventy-five papers at various National & International Conferences in the fields of Engineering Technology and Management. And also they published about Twenty-five scholarly articles in National/International Journal of repute.
- Received FELLOWSHIPs and S R Gollapudi award for their contribution to the field of Industrial Engineering from Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering.
- RSST has awarded academic excellence to the faculty of the department who have completed their Ph.Ds and presented papers in International and National conferences / Journals on the annual get together function of RSST at R.V. Teachers College, Jayanagar.
- Faculty members of the department regularly attend various national and international seminars, workshops and conferences to enhance their knowledge in the fields of Engineering Technology and Management.
- The faculty members of the department have presented about ninety-eight papers at various National & International Conferences in the fields of Engineering Technology and Management. And also they published about Forty-five scholarly articles in National/International Journal of repute.
- Department is encouraging students to attend Techno Cultural Festivals, Conference and Seminars.
- Students are participating in many National level Techno Cultural events and have brought laurels to the department.
- Students are presenting papers in many national and international conferences and won prizes.
- The Final year students of the department under taking projects on live Industrial Problems contributing to the improvement of Quality and Productivity with a cost conscious perspective through the application of Industrial Engineering and Management concepts. The Projects carried out in the past encompass problem situations from various sectors of the Industry viz., Product Manufacturing, Process, Service, Administrative and Research Establishments, etc.,
- Students have participated in state level project exhibition and competition for engineering students and they have won prizes.
- Participated in Optima a national symposium organized IEM dept. IIT Kharagpur. They have won first prize in the event sigma and second place in event Ergonomica.
- To motivate students department is giving 1st and 2nd Best project award and Innovative Project awards.
- Student of IEM dept. have secured fifty-three ranks in the university examinations as on date.
- Student of IEM dept. have secured fifty-six ranks in the university examinations as on date.
Department is promoting faculty members in doing research work in areas such as Material Science, Manufacturing Technology, Change Management, Financial Management, Data Mining and Decision Support Systems, Supply Chain Management, Human Resource Management, Software Quality and Reliability, System Dynamics, Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Manufacturing and Simulation Modeling and Analysis.
Department has successfully executed funded research projects sponsored by DRDO, AICTE, NSTEDB, DST, NRB, ARDB, RPM
MoUs with i2 Technologies, Bangalore for organizing Certificate Program on Supply Chain Strategist Software for R V C E students. RAPITECH SOLUTIONS INC, Bangalore for organizing Conferences and Seminars and setting up Research Center for carrying out research in the area of Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing. ABCON Technology and Management for improving the quality of teaching and for imparting practical skills to students in the areas of Simulation Modelling & Analysis, Manufacturing Scheduling, Supply Chain Management and ERP Solutions.
The department is successfully executing consultancy works in Bharti Mobile Limited, Spicer Indian Limited OM Pharmaceuticals Limited, Universal Carburizing Works Pvt. Ltd., Indian Statistical Institute, Karle Group of Industries, Lincoln Helios, Syscon Industries.
The faculty members of the department are conducting executive training programs for many reputed industries including: Spicer India, HAL Staff College, MROTEK ABCON Ltd., NTTF, Anand Group of Industries(Hosur and Dharwad), Indian Heritage Academy, Quality Circle Forum of India, IIMM, ORSI, NIQR, Bharati Mobiles, INFOSYS, WIPRO and such other established organizations.
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
The faculty members are holding honorary positions in professional societies like ISTE, QCFI, Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (IIIE), Operational Research Society of India (ORSI), Indian Institute of Materials Management (IIMM), Society of Indian Value Management (SIVAM), National Institution of Quality and Reliability (NIQR). This provides an opportunity for faculty members to continuously interact with Professionals.
Faculty members of the department are participating in Edusat Program conducted by VTU. Topics covered in the program are Reliability Engineering and Quality Assurance.
The Department houses a Professional Association of Students. “IDEA”(InDustrial Engineering Association), aimed at enhancing overall personality of students through orgainsing Seminars, Workshops, Industrial visits, In-Plant Training, Group discussions, Annual Inter Collegiate Techno Management Fest “SYNERGY”, etc., This Association is managed by students with the support of the faculty of the department. The events conducted are paper presented, Maketo Mania, Dumb Charades, Corporate Quiz, Business Simulation, SCM Game, Arch Intact.
Leading Recruiting Organizations: TCS, GE, L & T , Gujrat Gas, Infosys, CTS, Tech Mahindra, Volvo, Mind Tree, Cognizant, Accenture, Fidelity Investiments, Intel, IBM, Kirloskar, Timken, Futures First, ICICI Bank, Wipro, Ingersoll.