Department of Information Science and Engineering
About the Department
The Department was started in the year 2000. The present intake of the undergraduate program is 60. The course has become popular among students due to the achievements and rigor. In the year 2006, the department also started M.Tech in Software Engineering followed by M.Tech in Information Technology. The department has well equipped classrooms and computer laboratories with high-end systems. The department is accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA).The department is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU).
To be a hub for innovation in Information Science & Engineering through Teaching, Research, Development and Consultancy; thus make the department a global resource center in advanced, sustainable and inclusive computing in years to come.
• Prepare the students to become strong in fundamentals of Information Science & Technology.
• Prepare the students to accept technological challenges with confidence to design innovative solutions resulting in research and development.
• Create an environment for innovation in inclusive and green technology , through workshops and interaction with outside world.
• Guide the students to become responsible professionals through ethical practices with an emphasis on societal concern.
• Encourage industry engagement and collaboration.
• Create a new generation of problem solvers for a sustainable future.
• Promote teamwork through projects and co-curricular activities
- B.E in Information Science and Engineering
- M.Tech in Software Engineering
- M.Tech in Information Technology
The teacher-student ratio is 1:15.
The following Pie Chart shows the distribution of overall credits of all the subject categories in the Information Science and Engineering branch 2007 syllabus from first to eight semester percentage wise
Infrastructure / Facilities
- Located at Newly Built Complex with modern facilities.Area:1840 Sqm. in two floors.
- 6 classrooms with modern teaching aids.
- Department Library with requisite number of books and journals.
- Five Computer Laboratories, three with wireless network.
- A seminar hall equipped with Digital Audiovisual facilities.
The important laboratories include:
- Data Structures Laboratory
- File Structures Laboratory
- Java and CGI Programming Laboratory
- Algorithms Laboratory
- OOPS Laboratory with C++
- Database Applications Lab
- System Programming Laboratory
- Microprocessor Laboratory
- Networks Laboratory
- M.Tech Laboratory
- Project Work
- Lab1 has a total area of 132sq.m with 22 Lenovo Think Center Systems with wireless network.
- Lab2 has a total area of 113sq.m with 22 HP DX2000 systems with wired network.
- Lab3 has a total area of 98.8sq.m with 22 HP DX2700 systems with wired network.
- Lab4 has a total area of 80sq.m with 22 HP DX2700 systems with wireless network.
- Lab5 has a total area of 34sq.m with 18 HP DX2700 systems with wireless network.
- There are 2 HP servers and one online server located in a separate room.
Events & Seminars
The department is conducting Seminars/ Conferences and workshops from time to time for the faculty and students. It is the endeavor of the department to fill the gap in skills between curricula and industry requirement. Keeping this in mind following programs have been conducted in recent past:
- Conducted National Conference on “Computing, Communications and Technology”.
- Conducted a Staff Development Programme on “Knowledge Management” sponsored by AICTE.
- Organized a National conference on “Recent trends in information technologies”.
- Conducted a short-term course on “Web Programming” for students.
- Organized a Seminar on “Career Planning in IT through Technology & Tools” by Mr. Ankur[CTO] – and Mrs. Vandana M [CEO], from Meteonic Innovations.
- Organized a Seminar on Software Testing.
- Organized a National level EMC Academic Alliance Program.
- The Department conducts training on the Frontier Technologies for IT and NON-IT students under the guidance and support from industry experts and faculties.
- The Department regularly organizes Seminars and workshops for staff and students to keep abreast with the latest in IT.
|Inaugural function of SDP on Knowledge Management|
- Eighty papers have been presented in various National/International Conferences.
- Twenty Five publications have been made in International Journals.
- Nine Books have been published.
- Prof. B M Sagar has received award for Excellence in education from RSST.
- The department supports students to present papers in Conferences and also in other activities.
- Students have presented many papers in National/International Conferences.
- Mr.Harish participated in the “Tata Crucible National Level Business Quiz” held at Nimhans Convention Centre.
Students of the Department have achieved many ranks at the University level. Following is the list of ranks awarded by the VTU to the students:
- Year 2004-Seventh rank, BE
- Year 2005 -First, Second, Fifth rank, BE
- Year 2006 -First, Fifth, Ninth rank, BE
- Year 2007-Seventh rank, BE
- Year 2008-First rank, BE
- Year 2008-Third rank, M.Tech (SE)
- Year 2009, Third rank-B.E
- Year 2009, Fourth rank-B.E
- Year 2009, First rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2009, Second rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2009, Third rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2009, First rank-M.Tech(SE)
- Year 2009, Third rank-M.Tech(SE)
- Year 2010,First Rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2010,Second Rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2010,Third Rank-M.Tech(IT)
- Year 2010,First Rank-M.Tech(SE)
- Year 2010,Second Rank-M.Tech(SE)
- Year 2010,Third Rank-M.Tech(SE)
The Faculty of the department is actively involved in Research activities and has received various Grants from different Organizations. The students and staff are encouraged to participate in Research work.
Some of the areas where Research has been carried out by the Faculties are Global Positioning Systems, Software Engineering, Data Mining and Network Security, Natural Language Processing, Pattern Recognition, Computer Networks and Information Security.
The Department carries out various Industry-Institute interaction events for the benefit of the students. Some of the events organized in recent past are:
- The Department conducts various seminars and technical talks in collaboration with various companies like Sonata Software and EMC2.
- An MOU has been signed with EMC2.
- The Department coordinates the “Campus Connect Initiatives”, a tie up between RVCE and INFOSYS. Reputed Industries have chosen students representatives as industry ambassadors.
- The Department has regular interactions with EDC cell of RVCE to inspire our students towards Entrepreneurship.
- More than 50% of the student projects are carried out in industries.
- Post Graduate students are carrying out their internships in various companies like Unisys, Oracle, Intel, IBM, NDS, VMWare, Honeywell, i2 Technologies, HP and so on.
Following industry-based electives have been offered for the students:
Business Intelligence (Infosys)
Mobile Handset & Software Design (Samsung)
Open Computing Language (AMD)
Software Practice & Testing (Mindtree)
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
- Faculty members are members of many Professional societies like IEEE, ISTE & CSI.
- Students are also members of various Professional societies.
- The Department has an Association of Students “INFIN-IT” guided by the staff. It regularly organizes
- Technical Talks.
- An annual Fest is through industrial sponsorship
- Industry Visits
- Students to Participate in Co-Curricular and Extra-Curricular Activities
Some of the companies which provide placement for the students are Yahoo, Microsoft, Accenture, Intel, IBM, Amazon, Cisco, Oracle, Google, HP, EMC2, GE, Schnieder Electric,Wipro, Infosys, Cognizent, Thoughtworks, Nokia Siemens, NI, Novell, Motorola, Netapps, etc.
Following is the statistics of students placed in various companies.
M.Tech Information Technology - Faculty Details
|Dr G N Srinivasan||Professor & Associate Dean|
|N C Naveen||Associate Professor|
|Kavitha S.N.||Assistant Professor|
M.Tech Software Engineering - Faculty Details
|Dr. N K Cauvery||Professor & Dy. CoE|
|G S Mamatha||Assistant Professor|
|Rashmi R.||Assistant Professor|