Department of Mathematics
About the Department
The department of Mathematics was established in the year 1963. In the first year the Department of Mathematics (DOM for short) taught 120 students. The number of students grew in leaps and bounds year after year and now after its existence of over 4 decades the DOM has to its credit to have taught during the last 5 academic years over 7000 students . Beginning with a modest strength of three members in its first year of inception the DOM has grown in strength and now boasts of having sixteen faculty members of which 5 faculty members have Ph. D’s and 6 are pursuing their Ph. D. program.
Making Engineers to develop the mathematical thinking an applying it to solve complex engineering problems, designing mathematical modeling for systems involving global level technology.
- Encouraging inquisitiveness in a student throughout so that he would be able to understand the fundamentals of technology
- Informing the student with the latest development in science so that he can exploit it for development of technology.
- Imbibing the idea that understanding of an atom is very essential to understand the universe to the students.
- Instigating the “research” in a student so that he could be an innovator or discoverer of tomorrow.
- In tune with the vision and mission statement the RVCE, the DOM is leaving no stone unturned to brace itself to acquire a newer status of being a department to be reckoned with, imparting quality education.
Long Term Goals.
- To establish Research centre in Applied Mathematics.
- To gain overall development in academic and teaching knowledge..
- To help the students for their academic excellence to reach the global standards.
- To organize National & International conferences.
Department Short Term Goals.
- To provide opportunity for staff to gain knowledge in teaching methodologies.
- To provide opportunities for staff to participate in various seminars, workshops and training programmes.
- To conduct National Conferences and workshops for the benefit of students and teachers.
The department conducts courses on Engineering Mathematics, Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory and Combinatorics, Numerical Methods and Linear Algebra for UG and PG classes . Bridge courses are conducted for Diploma Students. Weak students are identified and special classes are conducted for them to enable them to perform well. As a result of the sincere effort of the DOM team, the department has been consistently obtaining excellent results, with many students scoring 100 % in their mathematics paper.
Stepping out of its curricular activities the DOM has stamped its mark in the industrial sector. It has been successfully undertaking teaching assignments for LRDE a DRDO unit to equip its chosen staff to prepare themselves to take up AMIETE, a requirement to climb the ladder of promotion.
Infrastructure / Facilities
- The department housed in class room Complex (CRC) has separate cabins for each staff
- The department is provided with 15 computers, 2 printers and other basic facilities
- It possess software packages like Matlab, Scilab.
- The department has in-house library.
- Lift facility is available in the Department.
Events & Seminars
The Department regularly conducts National Conferences / Workshops to enhance the knowledge pertaining to applications of Mathematics to provide major thrust and motivation to students / faculty to indulge in serious research and develop a platform for students / faculty / research scholars to interact with the experts in the field.
- Two-day National Conference on Applications of Graph Theory
- Two-day National Conference on Mathematical Modeling
In addition to teaching the faculty members of the Department have to their credit the following Achievements
- Ph.D Degree / M.Phil Degree / PG DIPLOMA in various fields
- Presented / published papers in International / National Journals as well as International / National Conferences
- Received certification of Honor for academic Excellence through Research Presentation from ISTE, RVCE chapter
- Young Scientist Award in the Award Session for Young Researchers below 30yrs of age in 53rd Congress of ISTAM, an International Meet, held at University College of Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- In May 2011, department was recognized as research centre by VTU for carrying out research work.
The Department has five Ph.D guides and six persons are pursuing Ph.D programme. Department has VTU recognized Research centre for conducting Ph.D. programs. At present one research scholar is working towards Ph.D. programme. The Department helps the students in their project work. It also helps the research scholars in solving various mathematical problems.
The major Areas of research are Fluid mechanics , Graph Theory, Special functions, Numerical analysis, Combinatorial Optimization, History of Mathematics etc.,