Department of Mechanical Engineering
About the Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1963 with affiliation to Bangalore University and an initial intake of 40 students. Presently the department is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) with autonomous status. The present intake for the undergraduate programme is 120 students. The faculty to student ratio is 1:14. Mechanical Engineering emphasizes on Design, Materials & Manufacturing, Thermal Engineering, and also interdisciplinary areas like CAD/CAM/CAE, Automation, Operational Research, Mechatronics, FEM, Managerial Aspects of Industry, etc.
UG Programme is accredited for five years by the National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi
Imparting quality education in design, materials and manufacturing with emphasis on research,
sustainable technologies and entrepreneurship for societal symbiosis.
- Imparting knowledge in basic and applied areas of mechanical engineering
- Providing state-of-the art laboratories and infrastructure for academics and research
- Facilitating faculty development through continuous improvement programmes
- Promoting research, education and training in frontier areas of nanotechnology, advanced composites, surface technologies, MEMS and sustainable energy
- Strengthening collaboration with industries, research organizations and institutes for internship, joint research and consultancy.
- Imbibing social and ethical values in students, staff and faculty through personality development programs
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Tech. in Product Design and Manufacturing
- M.Tech. in Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- M.Tech. in Machine Design
- M.Tech. in Tool Engineering Design
- M.Sc. (Engg.) and Ph.D. programmes
|Curriculum for BE Mechanical Engineering|
The Department has well qualified and experienced faculty and technically competent supporting staff on its rolls. Eight faculty members have doctoral degrees. Seventeen faculty members are pursuing doctoral degrees. Eight faculty members were awarded UGC career Award in 1998. Department conducts training programmes for UG & PG in emerging fields like CAD/CAM/CAE and Advanced Materials.
The department has Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with several foreign Universities for Research, Masters, Doctoral and Post Doctoral Studies: University of Wisconsin (USA), University of West Virginia (USA), Lamar University (USA), University of Aachen (Germany).
Infrastructure / Facilities
The department has following ten state of the art laboratories catering to UG and PG students:
Name of the Laboratory
|Machine shop (Area : 720 sq m)
Lathes, Milling Machines, Drilling Machines, Planing Machines, Slotting Machines, Grinding Machines, CNC Lathe, Cylindrical Grinding Machine, Bench grinder, Polishing Machine, Shaping Machine, Surface Grinder
|Foundry & Forging Lab (Area : 45 sq m)
Universal Sand Testing Machine, Sand rammer, Beam balance, Permeability tester, Sieve analyser, Clay content tester, Moisture content testing machine, Ovens, Furnace, Different types of dies, Moulding boxes
Heat Transfer Lab (Area : 113.4 sq m)
Design Lab (Area : 45 sq m)
|Materials Testing Lab (Area : 108 sq m)
Brinell, Vickers, Rockwell hardness testers, Creep tester, Cupping tester, Impact tester, Rotary fatigue tester, Torsion tester, Universal testing Machines (manual and computer operated), Wear tester, Microhardness tester, Microscope
Energy conversion Engineering Lab (Area : 360 sq m)
Fluid Machinery Lab (Area : 216 sq m)
Basic Workshop (Area : 102.6 sq m)
Metrology & Instrumentation Lab (Area : 141.75 sq m)
|CAD & CAM/Automation Lab (Area : 727 sq m)
Vertical Milling Machine (CNC), Pick and Place Robot , CNC Turn Master, Flexible Manufacturing system, Computers, Softwares (ANSYS, Unigraphics, Inventor 9 with MDT, AutoCAD R-2005, Composite structure solver, Pamcrash solver)
The following advanced laboratories are also available with the department for carrying out research work by students and faculty members
Advanced FRP Laboratory:
|Filament Winding Machine||UV/IR/Thermal Curing Machine||Microwave Curing Machine|
|10 ton UTM||Environment Chamber||Hot Press|
|Brookfield Viscometer||Ultrasonicator||Magnetic Stirrer|
|DSC||Resistivitymeters (Eltel & Keithley)||Resistivitymeters (Eltel & Keithley)|
Thermal Barrier Coating Laboratory
|CO2 LASER - 300 W||Wear Tester||Talysurf|
|Hot Air Blower–TBC Testing for Convective HT|
Advanced Design Laboratory
|Tensameter - 2T||Fatigue Tester with
Aerospace Modeling Laboratory
|Wind tunnel||Altitude Chamber||Hot & Cold Chamber|
|Pipe Burster||Microwave curing with vacuum|
Advanced Foundry Laboratory
|Pressure Die-Casting||Plasma Densification Equipment||Vacuum Hood|
|Neophot Microscope||Metallurgical Microscope||Muffle Furnace|
Information Access Facilities
- No. of Computers available – 200
- Licensed softwares available :
- ANSYS -V11.0
- Visual Studio
- Auto CAD – 2002
- Mechanical Desk top 6.0
- AutoDesk Inventor 9.0
- Auto CAD – 2004
- PAMCRASH Solver
- Composite Structures Solver
- Forming Tools Design Workstation
- ANSYS Fluent 6.3 V
- CFD Ace
- CFD Nastran
- Visual Meshing Software
- Solid Edge V19
- Caps Turn / Caps Mill
- Windchill 9.1
- The department has well equipped classrooms with LCD projectors, computer browsing centre, CAD/CAM and Automation labs
- The department library has the following facilities:
- Books, National Journals, International Journals, e-journals
- Project Reports, Seminar Reports, Final technical report of Sponsored Projects
- Exclusive library in R & D with M.Sc. (Engg)/ Ph.D. theses / journals / Conference Proceedings and e-journals
Events & Seminars
- Seminar on "OFF-SHORE TECHNOLOGIES" On Friday, 11th November 2011,at Mechanical Seminar Hall By Mr. SRINIVASAN BHARAT Principal: Structures, Pipeline & Project Management Zentech INC, Texas, USA.
- The Department organizes several in house seminars for the benefit of students and faculty members. Some of the seminar topics are : Study @ MIT, USA ; Polymers as future space materials ; Overview of ERP & Planning Process in ERP Environment ; Naval-Underwater Electronics ; NDT technologies ; Mechanical Design ; Induction Hardening ; Hydraulics and Pneumatics ; ERP Applications ; Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) ; Capabilities on Nei NASTRAN ; Alternate Energy Resources–Fuel Cells ; Airline Pilot – As a Career ; Aerodynamics of Bird Flight ; Advances in Online Exams ; Advanced Composites ; Advanced armament materials
- The department conducts programmes for students through the Entrepreneurship Development Programme Cell. The Cell is sponsored by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). Some of the programmes conducted by the Cell are : Entrepreneurship Awareness ; Lean Manufacturing Systems ; Workshop on Polymer Matrix Composites (PMC) ; System Trouble shooting & Maintenance ; Training on screen printing & book binding for speech & hearing impaired
- The department has conducted faculty development programmes in emerging fields like CAD, Hydraulics and Pneumatics, Flexible manufacturing systems, etc.
|Inauguration of Hydraulics and Pneumatics Workshop|
|Practical Demonstrations at Hydraulics and Pneumatics Workshop|
|Inauguration of Aerodyanamics of Bird Flight Seminar|
|Aerodyanamics of Bird Flight Seminar|
|Mechanical Lecture Sessions for DRDO personnel|
- Ten faculty members have doctoral degrees. Twenty faculty members are pursuing doctoral degrees.
- UGC career award has been awarded to 8 faculty members
- Best paper award at IIT-Madras and IISc international conferences has been awarded to 3 faculty members
- Best presentation award at IIT-Madras international conference has been awarded to one faculty member
- Excellence in education award has been awarded to 8 faculty members
- Young scientist award was awarded to Prof. Mahendra Kumar S by VGST, Bangalore.
- IBC Living Science Award for services to research, UK, 2004 was awarded to one faculty
- R&D 100 Awards in 1998 & 1999-USA was awarded to one faculty (R&D 100 Awards are given to those who have designed, developed and commercialized a technologically significant product)
- Research award by UGC was awarded to one faculty
- Excellence in Design Award - 1999 & Product Design and Development Award - for Microwave Plasma Synthesis System Design was awarded to one faculty
- Following patents have been received by the faculty
- Six patents in the field of design & processing of nanopowders using microwaves and pulsed D.C. power systems
- One patent about to be submitted on stresscon method of cold hole expansion technology
- Feasibility studies underway for patenting twin screw extrusion process adopted for thermoset/MWCNT composite systems
- Several faculty members have delivered invited lectures in industry and other academic institutions
- Several faculty members have published textbooks in mechanical engineering stream
- Several faculty members are principal investigators and co-investigators for research projects sponsored by AICTE, DRDO, ISRO, DST, LRDE, NRB, ARB, CABS, ENV, IPR, GTRE, ARDB
- Faculty members have over 170 international journal publications and over 380 national and international conference publications
- Faculty members have established following cells in the department
- Industry Institute Partnership Cell (Sponsored by AICTE)
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme Cell (Sponsored by AICTE)
- Nationally Coordinated Project (Sponsored by AICTE)
In the year 2010-2011, the first autonomous batch, top 10 students were awarded ranks
Students of the department have secured following ranks in Visvesvaraya Technological University exams (2009-10)
- B.E. 2nd Rank
- M.Tech. (Product Design and Manufacturing) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd ranks
- M Tech (Computer Integrated Manufacturing) - 2nd Rank
Students of the department have secured following ranks in Visvesvaraya Technological University exams (2008-09)
- M.Tech. (Product Design and Manufacturing) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd ranks
- M Tech (Computer Integrated Manufacturing) - 2nd and 3rd Rank
- Students of the department have secured following ranks in Visvesvaraya Technological University exams (2007-08)
- BE – 2nd, 4th and 6th ranks
- M.Tech. (Machine Design) – 2nd rank
- M.Tech. (Product Design and Manufacturing) – 1st, 2nd and 3rd ranks
- Students of the department have secured following fellowships
- Mentored Engineering Student Research Fellowship from Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi
- Student Research Fellowship from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- Student Research Fellowship from Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- Students of the department have presented papers in national and international conferences in India and abroad (UAE, Australia).
- Project Garuda RVCE Supermileage team participated in the Bengaluru International Auto Expo 2009 and demonstrated their fuel efficient car. The Garuda Team also won the Young Achiever 2008 award, instituted by Brigade Group and Rotary Bangalore Midtown.
- Project Vyoma team have conceptualised and designed an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) to participate in competitions held by SAE’s student chapter, named AERODESIGN. The students participated in the Aero Design international competition conducted by SAE International, held at Georgia, USA, from April 3-5, 2009. The students were recognised for their outstanding performance by completing all events of SAE Aero Design. The students secured 20th place out of 43 university teams.
- Project Chimera team unveiled the prototype of India's first plug-in hybrid car for city roads. This is a unique collaborative effort between University and Industry to facilitate innovation. The project was undertaken by 11 engineering students, supported by companies such as REVA, National Instruments and Robert Bosch.
- Project Ashwa team have built a formula racing car and participated in three international automobile competitions conducted by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with headquarters in Michigan (USA). Project ASHWA has won following awards: Best Endeavour award at Formula SAE Australasia, held at Melbourne, Australia in Dec 2005; 1st prize in cost event at Formula SAE Australasia, held at Melbourne, Australia in Dec 2005; Young Achiever’s Award for 2007 by Rotary International.
|Team Garuda Supermileage at the Bengaluru International Auto Expo 2009||Ashwa formula racing car at the Formula Student – Germany 2007|
|Project Vyoma Unmanned Aerial Vehicle||CHIMERA, THE HYBRID CAR|
- The focus areas of research for the department are Nanotechnology, PMC Structural Materials for UUV Applications, Segmented Projectiles, Cold Hole Expansion for fatigue life enhancement & Fretting Fatigue Studies, Microwave curing of Polymer Systems, Thermal Barrier Coatings – LASER Assisted Deposition, High Temperature Polymers, Severe Plastic Deformation, High Performance MMCs, Hydrodynamics of floating bodies
- The department has completed 85 research projects awarded by agencies like AICTE, DRDO, ISRO, DST, LRDE, NRB, ARB, CABS, ENV, IPR, GTRE, ARDB, with 30 ongoing research projects
- The department faculty members has developed more than 25 new advanced materials especially in Metal Matrix Composites and Polymer Matrix Composites
- Fifteen research scholars are enrolled for Ph.D. in the R & D centre. Thirty five research scholars having been awarded Ph.D. through the R & D Centre by various universities
- The department is recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University as a centre for research studies.
- The faculty members have over 170 international journal publications and over 380 national and international conference publications
- Nationally co-ordinated project on Cold Hole Expansion for Fatigue Life Enhancement of Life Critical Aeroengine Components was also carried out by the department
The department has an Industry Institute Partnership Cell (IIPC), sponsored by AICTE which takes up following activities :
- Students are encouraged to take up Industry based Project
works and Industry based internships. Some of the industries
where students are doing their projects and internships are
HAL, NAL, L & T, Kennametal, ISRO, Bosch, Toyota, etc.
- Technical talks by industry experts are arranged for students
and staff members
- Industrial Visits are arranged for students
- Training programmes and workshops are arranged for students
in emerging fields like CAD/CAM/CAE and Advanced Materials
- Consultancy and Product Development projects for industries
are taken up
- Industry Sponsored Projects are undertaken
- The department has MOU with PEACE, DRDO, New Delhi to train the entire DRTC cadre of DRDO through technical skills upgradation programme. Ten batches of 30 DRDO personnel (each batch) have been trained.
- This centre will focus on hands on training to the students and faculty members in the field of automation technologies.
- Candidates after successful training will be offered a joint completion certificate by Bosch Rexorth and RVCE centre.
The Centre of Competence for Automation Technologies is a joint initiative of BOSCH Rexorth with RVCE
Demonstration by Bosch experts
Inauguration of Centre for competence for Automation technologies
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
Several faculty members of the department are life members of Indian Society for Technical Education and Institute of Engineers.
YANTRA (students’ forum)
- The official students’ forum of the department is "YANTRA”, which conducts seminars, workshops, and technical events to help the students improve their knowledge and develop leadership qualities.
- Industrial visits for students are organized on a regular basis (ACE Designers, Mico Bosch, etc)
- The students are encouraged to carry out innovative projects and participate in National and International Conferences. Some of the innovative projects carried out by students and for which financial assistance is provided by the college are :
- Project ASHWA – Design and Development of formula racing car
- Project Mini Baja – Design and Development of ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE
- Project Garuda Supermileage – Design and Development of fuel efficient car
- Project VYOMA –- Design and Development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
- Project Chimera – Design and Development of plug-in hybrid car
- The department has achieved a placement percentage of 97% in 2010, with focused placement training for its students. Pre-placement training is given to the students in the 2nd year itself, to prepare them for the placement interviews.
- The companies visiting the college for selecting mechanical engineering students include : L & T Powai, L & T ECC, L & T Valdel, Kennametal, TCE, Mahindra & Mahindra, HCL Aerogroups, Schneider Electric, Shapoorji Pallonji, Ashok Leyland, Gujarat Gas, Mico Bosch, BEL, UB, Daikin Air conditioning, Honda Motors, Timken, GMR Group, GE, TCS, WIPRO, CTS, Infosys, etc. In 2010, 40 companies visited the campus for selection of students in the department.
M.Tech Computer Integrated Manufacturing - Faculty Details
|Dr. H. D. Gopala Krishna||Professor|
|S.K. Harisha||Assistant Professor|
|Nagesh S.||Assistant Professor|
M. Tech. Product Design and Manufacturing - Faculty Details
|Dr. H. N. Narasimha Murthy||Professor and Dean - P.G.Studies|
|Shivraj B. W.||Assistant Professor|
|R. Chandrakumar||Assistant Professor|
M.Tech Machine Design - Faculty Details
|Dr. M. Krishna||Professor and Dean - R&D|
|Dr. Ramesh S Sharma||Associate Professor|
|Kirthan L. J||Assistant Professor|
M.Tech Tool Engineering - Faculty Details
|Dr. Shanmukha Nagaraj||Professor and Associate Dean|
|Dr. Nanjundaradhya N. V||AssociateProfessor|
|R. Sridhar||Assistant Professor|