Department of Telecommunication
About the Department
In the present scenario Telecommunication has a booming market with so many new technologies and concepts coming to fore. The surveys have shown that for the next decade there is a large demand for engineers and skilled manpower to handle the present infrastructure and cater to new research ideas. The telecommunication engineer coming out would have a holistic knowledge of Electronics, communication and computers. The branch is a real convergence of IT.
Established in the academic year 1992-93, with an intake of thirty as a sister branch of Electronics and communication Engineering. The students have excelled in academics and secured thirty three ranks and Gold medals till date. At present, AICTE Approved intake for Under Graduate is sixty. In 2001, a separate Telecommunication Engineering department was established. The department is ranked FIRST in the BITES rating in the state of Karnataka with a rating of 0.8. The Department is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi, for five years in 2007.
The department is spread over 3000 sq meter floor area with state of the art labs with sophisticated equipments, spacious class rooms and a dedicated seminar hall with multimedia.
Department focuses on research projects, paper presentations at national and international conferences & journals, industry visits, promoting events conducted by student clubs and encouraging students to pursue Post Graduate studies. The student's success lies in the mentor activities, which help to understand students better on a personal level.
"Where Technology takes a new meaning –acquire knowledge, basic skills, creativity and human relations to achieve excellence in the field of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering."
- To imbibe fundamental concepts and motivate innovation in problem solving.
- To sharpen student's skills and guide them to become achievers.
- To create state of art infrastructure for imparting training and create research facilities.
- To create environment for overall development by encouraging to organize and conduct technical and extra-mural activities.
- To prepare engineers for sustainable and inclusive technology.
- To develop long term relationship with Industries and research Organizations for innovative research.
- To motivate students to evolve as an entrepreneur in communication and allied fields.
- B.E program in Telecommunication engineering
- M.Tech program in Digital Communication Engineering.
- MSc(engg) by research
- PhD Program
The department has twenty faculty members with six PhDs and seven pursuing PhD. All the faculties are postgraduates and are supported by well qualified supporting staff. The department has Staff –Student ratio of 15:1.
The Autonomous course structure for B.E course with weightage distribution is as shown
Course content of BE Telecommunication Engineering includes Engineering Mathematics, Basic Electrical Engineering , Computer Programming in C, C++, Java, Analog Microelectronics, Digital Microelectronics, Network Theory, Analog and Digital Communication, Microcontrollers, Digital Signal Processing, Signals and System, Microwave Engineering, Information Theory and Coding, Computer Communication Network, Cryptography and Network Security, Optical Fiber Communication, Wireless Communication, Satellite Communication, Broad Band Networks, Advanced Wireless Networks, CMOS VLSI, VHDL, Real Time Embedded System and many more advanced subjects.
Infrastructure / Facilities
|Name of the Laboratory||Sophisticated Equipment Available|
A separate Telecommunication block is being built with an area of 3000 sq.m, to accommodate both U.G. and P.G. programs.
The Department has a well equipped seminar hall facility to organize seminars, technical paper presentation etc.
VHDL/ CCN Laboratory-DSP Kits, Logic analyzer & pattern Generator, MATLAB 8.2 & Tool boxes: Simulink, Image processing , RF , Signal processing, V H D L Kits, Altera Quartus Tools ,CCN Kits, Server & computers
DSP & Microcontroller Laboratory- Micro processor Kits & interfaces, Microcontroller kits, Computer systems.
PG Laboratory II/ Project Laboratory ( Advanced Digital communication Lab)- Random Function Generator, Spectrum Analyzer , Digital CRO ,Function Generators
The Department Library
Events & Seminars
The Department organizes conferences, seminars and workshops from time to time. The following have been
conducted in recent past:
- National Conference on “Advances in telecommunication” in the year 2006-07.
- National Conference on “Next generation Wireless Network” in the year 2007- 08.
- National Conference on “Emerging Broad Band Technology” in the year 2008-09.
The department organizes conference as part of “World Telecommunication and Information Society Day”, on
16th -17Th May, every year. Some of the topics of discussion were Future trends in Telecommunication, Wireless, System on chip and Broad Band Technology.
The department has been continuously conducting faculty development workshops, a few of them are:
- The System View by Agilent Technologies
- LAB VIEW from Tech labs.
- TI MSP2000 from UniTI initiative
- TI MSP430 RF, from UniTI Initiative.
- VLSI and embeddede System design
- Short-term training programme on Trends in Broad band Technology.
- Foundation course in Electronics
- Microprocessors and Microcontrollers, Digital Electronics and Fundamentals of microprocessors
- Signals and Systems
- Electronics for mechanical Engineers
- Advanced Microprocessor and Microcontrollers
Invited Lectures are organized by inviting professional engineers and researchers from Electronics radar development Establishment (LRDE), HCL Technology, IISc, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Texas Instruments (TI), Indian space research organization (ISRO) etc.
Work shop conducted on TI MSP430 RF by Ms. Sumedha Limaye, from UniTI Initiative on 13th Feb 2009
- Faculty members of the department have Authored following Text books and some of them are
1. "Fundamentals Of Satellite Communication", first edition 2004 (2006 third reprint),
Published by Prentice Hall India Pvt. Ltd., Delhi.
2. "ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS", first edition 2004, Published by Subhas Publications.
3. "POWER ELECTRONICS", first edition 2004, Published by Subhas Publications.
4. "Signals & Systems", first edition 2003(Revised Edition 2004), Published by Scitech Publication, Chennai.
- Faculties have been honored by ISTE, RVCE Chapter for publishing Books.
- Faculties have obtained Best Teacher Award for their excellent teaching from RVCE.
- Faculty members have published papers in International Journals, about three publications as on date.
- Faculty members have presented papers in both National and International Conferences, about thirteen papers in National Conferences, about twenty nine papers in International conferences.
- Seven faculty members are pursuing PhD Studies and four of them has completed.
- Under Graduate students have obtained total of Thirty five ranks in VTU Examination and Post Graduate students have bagged four ranks in VTU Examination till date.
- Number of students appeared / qualified in GATE / CAT / GRE / Central / State services through competitive examinations
- Students have published many papers in both National and International Journals and presented papers in National and International Conferences.
- Students have gone abroad to peruse their higher studies and to obtain MS, PhD, Management degrees.
- A departmental magazine "CONNECT" is published by students every year.
- Students have been participating in the Sports Competitions every year in the Inter College level and in State level and won several shields and Medals.
The faculty of the department is actively involved in research activities and has received various grants from different Organizations. Faculty members have been involved in several project works, some projects have been completed and Currently the projects are under progress.
- "Study and development of Image Compression Algorithms for Satellite Images".
- "Design And Development Of Dielectric Lens Based Active Smart Array Antenna or Surface Communication of Underwater Vehicles".
- "Study and analysis of active array Antennas Embedded in hemispherical and Hemispheroidal shaped dielectric lenses for airborne mobile communications."
- "Automatic weather station and weather prediction.'
- "The Establishment of Mini Boundary layer mast experiment for short term weather prediction."
- "Growth and characterization of Novel Nano-Cluster carbon based thin film transistors at room temperature."
Research work in different areas like Image processing, Smart Antenna, Computer Networking, Embedded System, Microcontroller and MIMO techniques in the context of 3GPP are currently going on.
- The department carries out various Industry –Institute Interface programmes.
- Faculty Initiated MoU with Altera Achieva who have setup a Laboratory for skill development programme PEACE –DRDO New Delhi.
- Faculty members have been involved in carrying out projects for DRDO, ISRO.
- The Department has regular interaction with the Entrepreneur development Cell of RVCE to inspire our students towards Entrepreneurship.
- The students are carrying out their academic project works and their internship under various organizations and industries like Indian space research organization(ISRO), Defence research Development Organization(DRDO),Pace Microelectronics Private Ltd., Samsung Communications, Centre for Airborne services(CABS), Bharat Electronics Ltd.(BEL) and in companies like Cisco , Honey Well, Kyocera, in the Institutions like Indian Institute of Science( IISc), Bangalore and many more.
Co-Curricular Activities and Extra-curricular activities
- Faculties are members of many Professional societies like IEEE, ISTE and IETE.
- Faculties have delivered expert lecture on various subjects on VTU- EDUSAT programme.
- Telecommunication department students are actively participating in many Inter College level competitions and have won several prizes.
- Students are organizing and conducting "Connect" an Annual Inter-collegiate Techno cultural event on the eve of " World Telecommunication and Information Society Day" every year under this various competitions are held such as Paper presentation, Project exhibition, Quizzes, Mock CAT and GRE, Street play, Brain storm, Informal competitions and gaming.
- The department releases the newsletter every year on the day of World Telecom Day celebrations named "Tarangavani".
Some prominent Companies visiting our Campus Wipro, I-Flex, CTS, TCS, Tech Mahindra, Infosys, Accenture, Fidelity, Mindtree, Flextronics, IBM, Delphi, Digibee, Cisco, Oracle, Honeywell, Sasken, NI, River Stone N/W, Infeneon, Tata Elxsi,Satyam Computers, BEL, L&T InfoTech, Thought Works, Celstream, I2 Technologies, Sonsta S/W, ICICI, IT Solutions, Huawei Technologies, Computer Associates and many more. The placement scenario of our department is as per the statistics till date.
Telecommunication Faculty Details
|Under Graduate - Faculty Details|
|Prof. K. N. Raja Rao||Advisor & Professor|
|Dr. H.V. Kumaraswamy||Professor & HOD|
|P. Nagaraju||Associate Professor|
|Nagamani K.||Assistant Professor|
|Bhagya R.||Assistant Professor|
|T.P. Mithun||Assistant Professor|
|P. Shanthi||Assistant Professor|
|Premananda B S||Assistant Professor|
|Neethu S||Assistant Professor|
|Pawankumar B||Assistant Professor|
|Nagendra N N||Assistant Professor|
|Post Graduate - Digital Communication Enginnering|
|Dr. G. Sadashivappa||Professor|
|Dr. A.G. Ananth||Professor|
|B. Roja Reddy||Assistant Professor|
|Ranjani G||Assistant Professor|
|K. Vishwavardhan Reddy||Assistant Professor|
|Post Graduate - RF & Microwave Engineering|
|Dr.K. Sreelakshmi||Associate Professor and Associate Dean (T C)|
|Shambulinga M||Assistant Professor|